Minutes of PC Meeting, 4th June 2018

MINUTES OF MEETING OF STERT PARISH COUNCIL held in Stert House on 4th June 2018

Present:

  • Clive Boyes (CB),   Chairman
  • Alick Edwards (AE)   Dty Chairman
  • Lucy Barker (LB)     Councillor/Treasurer
  • Chris Lawrence (CL)    Councillor
  • William Howkins (WH)   Councillor/Clerk
  1. Apologies for absence

None.

  1. Declaration of Interest  

None.

  1. Minutes of previous meetings

The Minutes of the PC meeting held on 1st May 2018 were approved (proposed by CL and seconded by LB) and signed by the Chairman.

  1. Treasurer’s Report

4.1  FY 2017/18

LB reported that last year’s audit was now complete and had been approved by our internal auditor, Mr. Neville Burrell. The relevant documents including the financial regulations have now been posted on the parish website www.stertparish.com .  The Notice of Public Rights to inspect the accounts will be posted on the noticeboards and the website.

In his covering letter to the completed audit, Mr. Burrell suggested that, to provide for future telephone box restoration costs,  a memorandum account be set up, simply as a schedule to which into which £50 be added each year. The total accumulated should be declared annually in the financial report tabled at the Annual Parish Meeting.  The PC did not foresee any other cases where infrequent but significant expenses were likely to occur in future.    

4.2  FY2018/19

Since the last meeting, there had only been one expense of £236.25 for parish insurance. This included all risks cover for the telephone box. The balance in the account stood at £2932.79 (as checked by WH in the passbook).   

The decision whether or not to insure the phone box was discussed and agreed. It was also agreed that next year a quote would be obtained to insure the village’s main marquee.

It was agreed to make a donation of £20 to the PCC for loan of the church for the meeting on 30th April. It was also agreed that LB should spend £50 on a gift in lieu of fee for the internal auditor.

  1. Telephone box

A quotation for repainting the telephone box in the amount £450 had been received from Mr. Neville Moody and was approved by the PC. CB will email Mr. Moody to confirm this. It was also agreed to ask Mr. Moody to add a sign showing the name of the village on the panel on top of the phone box for a small extra cost. 

  1. Neighbourhood Watch

WH reported that he had received confirmations in accordance with the recent government regulations on data protection from the majority of village residents that they would like to continue receiving email notifications from the PC. WH will provide an updated list of these residents to CB.

WH had nothing special to report from Wiltshire Police since the last meeting. However, CB noticed that a new motorhome was parked on Edwards’ land the hill above the village.

  1. Tinkfield Recycling Centre.

CB reported that he had talked to Mr. Nigel Grist to get an update on progress with the building works at Tinkfield. He was told that the second weigh-bridge had been installed and work was underway on a concrete apron to improve the entrance to the site to allow access of larger lorries. The bund is now being constructed and will be completed by the end of the summer.

  1. Proposed Lydeway railway station

Notes on the Special Meeting held on 30th April in St James Church at which WC Cllr. Philip Whitehead briefed Stert residents on WC’s planning policies governing the proposed Devizes Parkway Station were also tabled. These notes will be posted on the notice boards and the parish website. 

Since this meeting, nothing further has been heard from the Devizes Development Partnership’s working group. WH said he would follow up with Mr. Simon Fisher to hear if any feedback had been received on their submission of 20th February 2018 to the Public Consultation on the GWR franchise and on progress, if any, with the GRIP planning process.

  1. Potholes in village lane

WH said he had filed a report with photos on the My Wiltshire website about the deterioration of the tarmac in the village lane just above Barn Cottage. It was requested that repairs be made under the Parish Steward scheme this summer to avoid further deterioration of the surface in the coming winter. Visits to Stert by the Parish Steward are scheduled for 26th June, 24th July and 18th September. WH will check with WC to confirm whether this work will be scheduled for this summer.

  1. AOB

10.1  AE has generously offered to build a beacon bonfire on Etchilhampton Hill to be lit on 11th November to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the WW1 Armistice. This will be a joint event with Etchilhampton. Details to follow later.

10.2  Social events: St James’ Patronal Day is on 29th July and will be celebrated with a special service at 10 am and followed by drinks at Stert House from 11 to 12:30 by the kind invitation of Stert PCC. 

David Mitcham is planning another summer jazz barbecue to be held in aid of the church at a date to be fixed later.

  1. Next Meeting

The next PC meeting and Annual Meeting will be held in Stert House on 16th July 2018, at 7.30 pm.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s