Concerts in the Vale, 28th, 29th September 2018

Music for Awhile 1

Minutes of Annual PC Meeting, 16th July 2018

 

MINUTES OF ANNUAL MEETING OF STERT PARISH COUNCIL 

held in Stert House on 16th July 2018

Present:

  • Clive Boyes (CB),  Chairman
  • Alick Edwards (AE),  Dty Chairman
  • Lucy Barker (LB),  Councillor/Treasurer
  • Chris Lawrence (CL),  Councillor
  • William Howkins (WH),  Councillor/Clerk
  1. Apologies for absence

WC’s Cllr. Philip Whitehead sent his apologies.

  1. Declaration of Interest

CL stated that he was a consultee by WC regarding the planning application for Claironailes.

  1. Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman

As both CB and AE agreed to continue as Chairman and Deputy Chairman for another year, CL proposed they be reelected and this was seconded by LB and they were therefore duly elected.

  1. Minutes of previous meetings

The Minutes of the PC meeting held on 4th June 2018 were approved (proposed by CL and seconded by LB) and signed by the Chairman.

  1. Treasurer’s Report

LB reported that since the last meeting, she had paid £20 to Stert PCC as a donation for use of the church for the village meeting with Philip Whitehead about Devizes Parkway station. She had also spent £47.94 on a gift of 6 bottles of wine for Neville Burrell in lieu of fee for carrying out the internal audit.

The PC’s account balance stands at £2864.85 (confirmed by WH in the passbook).

  1. Planning

6.1  Claironailes. Mr. Kevin Lynch, the new owner of Claironailes had submitted a planning application to WC to add an extension to the existing cottage, to build a new carport and to build an additional garage/storage building. The PC had met Mr. and Mrs Lynch on two occasions to review their plans.

At the meeting with Mr Lynch on 16th July, CB, WH and CL had raised their concerns about the size and height of the proposed extension and told Mr. Lynch that they thought it unlikely that it would be accepted at Monday’s PC meeting. He was advised to withdraw the application and resubmit a new application more sympathetic to the village surroundings.

At the PC meeting, after careful consideration,  the PC unanimously opposed the application on the following grounds:

  • the plan area of extension is too large (2.5 times the original building)
  • the roofline is too high and extends across the whole width of the Old Police Cottage property resulting in a loss of outlook
  • the proposed building severely impacts the village landscape
  • the proposed building design and materials are not in keeping with neighbouring buildings and not sympathetic to Stert’s rural setting
  • the second building is remote from the main building and requires a third entrance to the property: this will entail cutting down a significant section of the hedge and felling of several trees

CB reported that he had spoken with WC’s planning officer just before the meeting who told him that the plans as submitted would not be considered a viable application, and Mr. Lynch’s agent had been informed of this in writing. It was therefore agreed to wait with sending in the PC’s objections pending confirmation that the application had been withdrawn. (This was later confirmed to WH the following day).

6.2  Hartlands. An application had also been submitted to WC by Mrs Susan Phelps for the replacement of the temporary fence in front of Hartlands with a permanent deer-proof wrought iron fence.  The new fence will be of good quality and in keeping with the village surroundings and the application was therefore supported by the PC. (WH to notify WC accordingly.)

  1. Telephone box

Mr. Neville Moody will start the work on the telephone box in due course when he has completed his backlog of prior work orders. 

  1. Neighbourhood Watch

WH had received an email from PCSO Georgina Dodd concerning police patrol routes. He had replied requesting that patrols be reinstated through our village as a preventative measure. The necessity of this was queried by CL. WH will take the matter up with PCSO Dodd and report back at the next meeting.

  1. Tinkfield Recycling Centre.

WC has appointed Mr. Dean Thomas to monitor progress of the works at Tinkfield to ensure its compliance with the planning application. Work on the bund is presently in progress.

  1. Potholes in village lane

WH said he had met the Parish Steward,  Mr. Dan Stockwell, on 26th June, and complained about the poor job WC had done to repair the deteriorated surface adjacent to Barn Cottage. He assured WH that the repairs were a temporary measure until a proper repair could be scheduled. WH will meet him again when next he visits Stert on 24th July.

  1. AOB

11.1  The footpath through the field below Stert House between Barn Cottage and Springfields become overgrown with nettles and also the hedge is seriously overgrowing the footpath. LB was asked to have a word with the owner of the field, Mr. Martin Arthur, as he was probably unaware of his responsibility for clearing the footpath.

11.2  As requested at the Annual Parish Meeting, WH will contact Mr. Simon Fisher of Devizes Development Partnership to request an update on progress, if any, with Devizes Parkway Station.

11.3  CB brought up again the subject of having a defibrillator in the village. The apparatus costs about £1,500 and annual running costs for the periodic replacement of batteries and pads are also substantial. CB reported that Urchfont had 3 units in their village (organised by Nicky Mitchell) and Clock Inn Park were seriously considering having a unit of their own. It was agreed that CB should invite Ann Harris from the Clock Inn to brief us on what it would take to instal a unit in Stert at our next PC meeting.

  1. Next Meeting

The next PC meeting will be held in Stert House on 24th September 2018, at 6.30 pm.

Minutes of Annual Parish Meeting of Stert PC, 16th July 2018

MINUTES OF ANNUAL PARISH MEETING OF STERT PARISH COUNCIL 

held in Stert House on 16th July 2018

Present:

  • Clive Boyes (CB)  Chairman
  • Alick Edwards (AE)  Dty Chairman
  • Lucy Barker (LB)  Councillor/Treasurer
  • Chris Lawrence (CL)  Councillor
  • William Howkins (WH)  Councillor/Clerk
  1. Apologies for absence

WC’s Cllr. Philip Whitehead sent his apologies.

  1. Chairman’s Report

2.1 Introduction

A Government directive requires that the Parish Council Chairman presents a report on Council activities at the Annual Parish Meeting

2.2 Report

Several changes have occurred during the past year. Valerie Fairbank of the Willows moved to Marlborough and she was followed by Lewis Cowen and Alex relocating from Urchfont to the Willows. Lewis was previously chief reporter for the Devizes Gazette and had been most helpful in promoting the Cancer Research Car Boot sale that is now an annual event in Stert. 

After Peter and Helen Crook moved to Urchfont, Martin Arthur moved into Barn Cottage from Croydon.

Towards the end of 2017, the sale of land opposite Fullaway Farm was finalised and the new owner, Mr. Clyde Wynne-Williams has advised the PC that he intends to utilise this land as a Nature Reserve.

The sale of Claironailes completed in the Spring of 2018 and the new owners Mr. And Mrs. Kevin Lynch have submitted a Planning Application for a substantial extension that is currently being reviewed by the PC.

The revised planning application submitted by Grist Environmental with regard to the Tinkfield site was discussed directly with Grist management and later approved by Wilts Council. The new bund and concreting the loading area is a work in progress but was delayed unduly by the ” beast from the east ” in the spring.

At the urging of the Clock Inn Residents Committee, Wilts Council have done a fine job in clearing the footpath from the Clock Inn to Stert. We are now working on a reduction of the speed limit in this area.

In February, The Devizes Gazette reported that negotiations were well advanced by the Devizes Development Partnership to promote a railway station for Devizes. The proposed location chosen  for Devizes Parkway railway station is to the east of the Clock Inn just before Lydeway. After a presentation to Stert residents from the promotors, the scheme was rejected by the PC on the basis that the station would only go forward provided permission would be granted for a major housing development to be built adjacent to the Clock Inn in the parish of Stert. The PC is keeping a close watch to ensure that the wishes of our residents are respected.

Another threat to our peaceful village was the planning application made by the owners of a MotoX course located in Potterne Wick to hold up to 14 events per annum which would mean that most weekends in the Summer would be accompanied by the noise of off-road motorcycles racing within one mile of our village. With the help of neighbouring parishes the application has been rejected.

Again the village came together at Christmas with the Annual Village party attracting approximately 60 residents.

The Stert Talks continued to be held in the Church over The Winter with interesting contributions from Bill Howkins, David Stephenson and Philip Normington and Lucy Barker. These talks have helped raise funds for our Church and more are scheduled for this winter.

My thanks to all Councillors for their voluntary hard work and dedication especially with the amount of time spent on planning applications in order to protect our village from unwanted development.

  1. Financial Report

The PC accounts for the year ending 31.3.18 have been audited and approved by the internal auditor, Mr Neville Burrell.  2017/18 is the first year that we have not been required to have an external audit, since both our income and expenditure are below £25,000.

Our income for the year came to £1,037.54 and expenditure was £807.12. giving a surplus of £230.42. Our bank balance at 31.3.18 stood at £2253.99.

We have kept our precept at the same level for many many years. The Wiltshire Council website shows the precept charged for a Band D property for every parish in Wiltshire.

A band D property in Stert pays £9.90 in 2018/19.

A band D property in Urchfont pays £89.75

A band D property in Etchilhampton pays £41.45.

I could not find another parish with such a low precept! I mention this because, even though we had a surplus last year we may need to consider increasing the precept for 2019/20 when we discuss it in December. We have a major expenditure coming up (telephone box), we have made any economies we could (eg. not renewing WALC sub), and it doesn’t look like we’ll have any extra income this year from marquee use. A 5% increase in the precept may sound a lot but it would only generate another £45 and on a band D property it would be just another 49p. 

  1. Questions from the public

Mr John Clements asked if there was any further news about the proposed Devizes Parkway Railway Station. He was informed that the PC had not heard anything further from Devizes Development Partnership but WH undertook to ask for an update on progress if any.

 

Agenda for PC Meetings on 16th July 2018

Agenda for the Annual Parish Meeting of Stert Parish Council

to be held on Monday 16th July 2018 at Stert House, 7:30 pm.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Chairman’s report
  3. Financial report
  4. Questions from the public

Agenda for the Annual Meeting of Stert Parish Council 

to be held on Monday 16th July at Stert House, 8:00 pm

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Declarations of Interest
  3. Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman for 2018/19
  4. Minutes of previous meeting
  5. Treasurer’s report
  6. Planning applications: Claironailles, Hartlands
  7. Telephone box renovation
  8. Neighbourhood watch
  9. Update on Tinkfield Recycling Centre
  10. Potholes in village lane
  11. AOB
  12. Date of next meeting

All residents are welcome to attend these meetings

Events in Stert, 2018

Saturday 12th May: Cancer Research Car Boot Sale at Manor Farm

Sunday 29th July: St. James’ Patronal Day. Church Service at 10 am followed by drinks at Stert House, 11 – 12:30.

Minutes of PC Meeting, 4th June 2018

MINUTES OF MEETING OF STERT PARISH COUNCIL held in Stert House on 4th June 2018

Present:

  • Clive Boyes (CB),   Chairman
  • Alick Edwards (AE)   Dty Chairman
  • Lucy Barker (LB)     Councillor/Treasurer
  • Chris Lawrence (CL)    Councillor
  • William Howkins (WH)   Councillor/Clerk
  1. Apologies for absence

None.

  1. Declaration of Interest  

None.

  1. Minutes of previous meetings

The Minutes of the PC meeting held on 1st May 2018 were approved (proposed by CL and seconded by LB) and signed by the Chairman.

  1. Treasurer’s Report

4.1  FY 2017/18

LB reported that last year’s audit was now complete and had been approved by our internal auditor, Mr. Neville Burrell. The relevant documents including the financial regulations have now been posted on the parish website www.stertparish.com .  The Notice of Public Rights to inspect the accounts will be posted on the noticeboards and the website.

In his covering letter to the completed audit, Mr. Burrell suggested that, to provide for future telephone box restoration costs,  a memorandum account be set up, simply as a schedule to which into which £50 be added each year. The total accumulated should be declared annually in the financial report tabled at the Annual Parish Meeting.  The PC did not foresee any other cases where infrequent but significant expenses were likely to occur in future.    

4.2  FY2018/19

Since the last meeting, there had only been one expense of £236.25 for parish insurance. This included all risks cover for the telephone box. The balance in the account stood at £2932.79 (as checked by WH in the passbook).   

The decision whether or not to insure the phone box was discussed and agreed. It was also agreed that next year a quote would be obtained to insure the village’s main marquee.

It was agreed to make a donation of £20 to the PCC for loan of the church for the meeting on 30th April. It was also agreed that LB should spend £50 on a gift in lieu of fee for the internal auditor.

  1. Telephone box

A quotation for repainting the telephone box in the amount £450 had been received from Mr. Neville Moody and was approved by the PC. CB will email Mr. Moody to confirm this. It was also agreed to ask Mr. Moody to add a sign showing the name of the village on the panel on top of the phone box for a small extra cost. 

  1. Neighbourhood Watch

WH reported that he had received confirmations in accordance with the recent government regulations on data protection from the majority of village residents that they would like to continue receiving email notifications from the PC. WH will provide an updated list of these residents to CB.

WH had nothing special to report from Wiltshire Police since the last meeting. However, CB noticed that a new motorhome was parked on Edwards’ land the hill above the village.

  1. Tinkfield Recycling Centre.

CB reported that he had talked to Mr. Nigel Grist to get an update on progress with the building works at Tinkfield. He was told that the second weigh-bridge had been installed and work was underway on a concrete apron to improve the entrance to the site to allow access of larger lorries. The bund is now being constructed and will be completed by the end of the summer.

  1. Proposed Lydeway railway station

Notes on the Special Meeting held on 30th April in St James Church at which WC Cllr. Philip Whitehead briefed Stert residents on WC’s planning policies governing the proposed Devizes Parkway Station were also tabled. These notes will be posted on the notice boards and the parish website. 

Since this meeting, nothing further has been heard from the Devizes Development Partnership’s working group. WH said he would follow up with Mr. Simon Fisher to hear if any feedback had been received on their submission of 20th February 2018 to the Public Consultation on the GWR franchise and on progress, if any, with the GRIP planning process.

  1. Potholes in village lane

WH said he had filed a report with photos on the My Wiltshire website about the deterioration of the tarmac in the village lane just above Barn Cottage. It was requested that repairs be made under the Parish Steward scheme this summer to avoid further deterioration of the surface in the coming winter. Visits to Stert by the Parish Steward are scheduled for 26th June, 24th July and 18th September. WH will check with WC to confirm whether this work will be scheduled for this summer.

  1. AOB

10.1  AE has generously offered to build a beacon bonfire on Etchilhampton Hill to be lit on 11th November to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the WW1 Armistice. This will be a joint event with Etchilhampton. Details to follow later.

10.2  Social events: St James’ Patronal Day is on 29th July and will be celebrated with a special service at 10 am and followed by drinks at Stert House from 11 to 12:30 by the kind invitation of Stert PCC. 

David Mitcham is planning another summer jazz barbecue to be held in aid of the church at a date to be fixed later.

  1. Next Meeting

The next PC meeting and Annual Meeting will be held in Stert House on 16th July 2018, at 7.30 pm.

Special Meeting on Devizes Parkway Station, 30th April 2018

NOTES ON SPECIAL MEETING ON PROPOSED DEVIZES PARKWAY STATION

Monday 30th April 2018 in St James’ Church, Stert

Following a request from Stert PC, Wiltshire Councillor, Philip Whitehead (PW) gave a briefing on planning WC planning policy concerning the proposed Devizes Parkway railway station. 

Approx 40 Stert residents, plus representatives from Etchilhampton attended.

PW explained that WC core strategy mentions various new station options, including ones for: Corsham, Royal Wootton Bassett, Wilton and Devizes. Building a new train station is a relatively straight forward process. The challenge is ensuring there is an adequate train service to justify the capital expenditure. GWR has been trying to reduce the number of trains stopping at Westbury as they want to be able to advertise a faster train service from London to Cornwall.

Funding for a Devizes station could come from: a government grant, WC, and levies on house building in Devizes, such as the Lay Wood development on Coate road, which will eventually happen. The WC core strategy (valid to 2026) is very clear that there should be no building in open countryside.  For example, an application to build 2 houses on an old caravan site at Lydeway was refused as it was in the AONB. In short, the idea of building houses behind the Clock Inn Park ‘would just never happen’ and ‘why would you want to build there, there’s no need’.

In PW’s opinion a realistic time frame for the station to happen would be 10-15 years.

He thought the DDP was mistaken to allow Peter Lay, a property developer, to approach the project in the way he has and to make such public statements, such as those given in Stert church back in February.

Clive Boyes thanked PW on behalf of Stert PC for taking the time to address Stert residents and said the PC and village was left much reassured that the proposal to build on farmland behind the Clock Inn is highly unlikely to proceed any further.

Stert Parish Council.